Standard Disclaimer

As there is a possibility that this blog may become more public, I feel the need to add a disclaimer...
My experience is subjective, unique and influenced by the life experiences I had before I became a PhD student and my life experiences during this program. Your experiences will inevitably be different. They may even be wildly different!
Remember: my truth is neither your truth nor The Truth.
I want this blog to be honest. For that to be a reality, it must therefore be anonymous.
Politics and religion are fodder for other bloggers; I am a one-trick pony. The PhD nursing experience is all I'm here to write about.
Thanks and enjoy!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

End of Second Quarter Summary

The first thing that I want to say is how hard it has been to watch the news for the past few days. The images and stories from Japan are heartbreaking. I am having a hard time turning the TV off, even while it makes me cry to watch it. I feel like if the Japanese people have to live this nightmare, the very least I can do is be a witness to it and mourn with them.

For the last few days as I studied for statistics and wrote final papers, the background noise in my apartment has been CNN. Yesterday, I was so relieved to go to the library and sit with my classmates. Having company helped.

However, last night, I started to feel pretty unwell. I don't know if the end of the quarter will always result in my getting sick, but so far that is the pattern. I took my final statistics test today with a mild fever and a sore throat. By the time I got home, the fever was climbing. I can not stress how important it was that I had already completed a final draft of my paper! Once again, I have found that having a first draft at least a week prior to the due date and just re-working it and strengthening it over the remaining time is a life-saver!

I am going to miss a trip to visit my family, though, because of this flu or cold. And I am pretty upset about it. I can't risk exposing all of the other travelers and my family to whatever this is, but I really, really wanted to take this trip. Instead, I'm going to bed early and taking the cat with me for comfort.

I wish that everyone in the whole world had the luxury of resting right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment