Standard Disclaimer

As there is a possibility that this blog may become more public, I feel the need to add a disclaimer...
My experience is subjective, unique and influenced by the life experiences I had before I became a PhD student and my life experiences during this program. Your experiences will inevitably be different. They may even be wildly different!
Remember: my truth is neither your truth nor The Truth.
I want this blog to be honest. For that to be a reality, it must therefore be anonymous.
Politics and religion are fodder for other bloggers; I am a one-trick pony. The PhD nursing experience is all I'm here to write about.
Thanks and enjoy!

Thursday, March 17, 2011

An aside

So, this week I caught something nasty. Of course I also caught it just in time to miss my scheduled trip to see my family. At least I'm not sick in the middle of four classes like I was last quarter.

For the last two days I've been resting, drinking fluids and watching my temperature fluctuate. Pretty boring stuff. What has been interesting, though, is how frustrated and guilty I've been feeling. I don't know if this is a personality flaw or some sort of perverse nursing socialization response, but the overwhelming sense that I should be doing something useful is almost killing me!


I rarely called in sick when I worked (way not cool to leave a unit understaffed, better to wear a mask and still show up), and last quarter when I was sick, I still went to class. (It's only a 10-week quarter, it isn't a good idea to miss any lectures). Now, I don't have anywhere to be, and while I certainly have useful things I could do, I don't really have the energy to do them. But I can't relax. Every minute that I sit here or while I'm trying to take a nap, my brain is rattling off the constructive, important, useful things I could be doing instead. It is amazing how hard it is to relax.

I'm actually having to work at resting. Weird...huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment