Standard Disclaimer

As there is a possibility that this blog may become more public, I feel the need to add a disclaimer...
My experience is subjective, unique and influenced by the life experiences I had before I became a PhD student and my life experiences during this program. Your experiences will inevitably be different. They may even be wildly different!
Remember: my truth is neither your truth nor The Truth.
I want this blog to be honest. For that to be a reality, it must therefore be anonymous.
Politics and religion are fodder for other bloggers; I am a one-trick pony. The PhD nursing experience is all I'm here to write about.
Thanks and enjoy!

Monday, January 3, 2011

Winter Quarter

Currently Reading: Pedagogy of the Oppressed 

Happy New Year!!!

The next quarter starts today! Winter quarter classes for my cohort begin tomorrow, but today is the official start for the whole school. For whatever reason, today has also felt like the real start of 2011. I like to think that I am prepared. I have my list of resolutions clutched tightly in one hand and my organized binders in the other. After I purchase notebooks today at the campus bookstore, I should be ready to march out into the world of statistics and grant writing.

I have a lovely list of resolutions, which I have every intention of keeping! I always post my resolutions on the fridge door. This keeps me accountable to myself and also everyone who eats at my house... My resolution success rate for 2010 was 60%. That isn't great, but it also isn't awful.

This year, a couple of the resolutions are focused exclusively on creating a better school/life balance. Last quarter, I basically stopped doing healthy things like exercising. I also lost weight (from stress, not for my health), had worsening insomnia, and got walking pneumonia. I have chosen to view these as signs that I was not effectively balancing my obligations. I have signed up for a yoga class, thought through some ways to manage my time better, and I'm hoping that I will see some decrease in my stress.

As for the break, well, it was incredibly short. Also, the stress of the other project that I've been working on never really abated. Overall, the best of the break was my sister's visit, and the worst was trying to force this project forward. As a completed manuscript isn't due until February 1st, I expect the first month of this quarter to be intense and full of edits and re-writes. (I actually should be editing right now, but I wanted to start the quarter off with a post. Also, posting here is much, much easier than the edits!)

Our complete grades from fall quarter have still not been posted. I am hopeful that the grade we're awaiting will post this week. I've never been at a school where the grades from previous classes are still in limbo when the next classes start. It feels unfinished, and as I am a linear thinker and a bit OCD, it makes me slightly uncomfortable.

Finally, on a positive note, my sister and I found the coolest sushi place! I love it! I am trying to get everyone who comes here to go with me. It was the most calm dining experience I've ever had and sort of felt like slow-dining. Basically, sushi is made by the chefs, without customer input and put onto these little boats that float around in front of the patrons. If a patron wants the sushi, he or she takes it off the boat. There are some tiny signs that give you a rough indication of what each type of fish might be, but there is no explanation of the rolls. It was so relaxing. Oddly, I think that I found it so relaxing because it was completely out of my control. I sat there and watched the boats go around, and if I was moved to try a roll or a piece of fish than I did. Most of the time I couldn't identify everything I was eating, so my opinion of whether I liked it or not was completely based on taste and not what my brain thought about it... Also, there was an endless amount of green tea. It was awesome! I am posting a picture of it below...

Soothing Sushi Ships

Lastly, I'd like to thank everyone who is reading and posting comments! I'm really, really glad that so many of the readers of this blog are reading it to get information about doctoral studies. Please keep asking me questions and commenting, I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment