Standard Disclaimer

As there is a possibility that this blog may become more public, I feel the need to add a disclaimer...
My experience is subjective, unique and influenced by the life experiences I had before I became a PhD student and my life experiences during this program. Your experiences will inevitably be different. They may even be wildly different!
Remember: my truth is neither your truth nor The Truth.
I want this blog to be honest. For that to be a reality, it must therefore be anonymous.
Politics and religion are fodder for other bloggers; I am a one-trick pony. The PhD nursing experience is all I'm here to write about.
Thanks and enjoy!

Monday, January 10, 2011

Overload

I may have over-committed myself. The workload didn't seem like it was going to be that heavy this quarter, but I might have underestimated it. While it doesn't have as much reading as last quarter, it does require a lot more output from me with bi-weekly statistics problems and weekly short-papers due in my two primary classes. That would be fine, absolutely manageable, if not for all the other stuff.

1. The registered campus organization that I'm helping with (read organizing, developing and directing without much help...)
2. The project. I am beginning to have nightmares in which it never gets done. Ever.
3. The other class that I signed up for, but haven't started, on grant-writing. This class has the potential to be really helpful and also really stressful as it requires a lot of focus on moving towards establishing an actual research question.
4. My new commitment to health and school/life balance. It really feels like it would be easier to just pick one. Not try to do something crazy like both.
5. Volunteering at the clinic. 
6. Working on getting another paper(s) ready to submit for publication.

So when I look at this list, it doesn't really seem that bad. But, for some reason it feels like I'm overloaded.

I think that I'm actually going to post this and then never look at it again. I need to just keep moving forward, instead of trying to count and consider every obligation that I have. One requirement at a time. This might be one of those quarters where not being able to see the forest for the trees could be a stress-buffer. I'm not going to even look for the forest, I'm just going to look at each tree. By itself. Without thinking about the other trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment