Standard Disclaimer

As there is a possibility that this blog may become more public, I feel the need to add a disclaimer...
My experience is subjective, unique and influenced by the life experiences I had before I became a PhD student and my life experiences during this program. Your experiences will inevitably be different. They may even be wildly different!
Remember: my truth is neither your truth nor The Truth.
I want this blog to be honest. For that to be a reality, it must therefore be anonymous.
Politics and religion are fodder for other bloggers; I am a one-trick pony. The PhD nursing experience is all I'm here to write about.
Thanks and enjoy!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Reality Check

I've had another frustrating week - and it is just Wednesday. I'm really at a personal impasse about which direction to take both in classes and for a larger dissertation path. As I'm also a huge worrywart by nature, I'm feeling pretty uncomfortable. After a discussion with my advisor today, I realized that what I'm struggling with is finding a balance between what I would choose in a perfect world, and what is accomplish-able.

I think that this is probably a good moment to review why I decided to pursue this degree. And since I'm needing to see those reasons clearly stated, I am going to write them as a list.

1. I find women's healthcare to be the most interesting area of healthcare.
2. I trust women to tell me what they need.
3. I have questions about how to best provide care to women.
4. I know that these questions are answerable through science.
5. I want to participate in answering those questions and educating the next generation of nurses.

Okay. There's the basic list.
It is a reassuring list. I am doing this for more than one good reason. What I need to embrace now is that this is a process, a multi-year process. I have time to think about how to accomplish this degree and to learn more about the best way to direct myself to accomplish my longer-term goals. I do not need to have the perfect answer to anything (research question, dissertation question, methods, etc.) yet.

I am just working through the process.

I'm going for a run now. I need to burn off some of these stress hormones...

No comments:

Post a Comment