Standard Disclaimer

As there is a possibility that this blog may become more public, I feel the need to add a disclaimer...
My experience is subjective, unique and influenced by the life experiences I had before I became a PhD student and my life experiences during this program. Your experiences will inevitably be different. They may even be wildly different!
Remember: my truth is neither your truth nor The Truth.
I want this blog to be honest. For that to be a reality, it must therefore be anonymous.
Politics and religion are fodder for other bloggers; I am a one-trick pony. The PhD nursing experience is all I'm here to write about.
Thanks and enjoy!

Monday, September 20, 2010

Orientation Day 1

So today was the first day of orientation. The day was focused mostly on technology and technology systems that we would need as students. It was much more interesting than I would have expected. In spite of the evidence of this blog, a technological accomplishment, I am not particularly technologically savvy. Trust me, my husband can attest to the fact that if there is anything that I believe about technology it is that it should just work without me ever knowing how it does. But as a wittier TV writer than me once penned for a character, "computers can smell fear."

The opening part of the day was a lesson on the new legislation surrounding the importance of keeping patient information private. As a nurse, this is well known to me. I have twice been an employee of institutions upgrading to electronic medical records, and I have been a patient of a medical center that kept my data electronically. I want that information to stay secure as much as any nurse or patient. But I was startled today to learn that there is legislation now in place allowing for an individual health provider, not just the institution that they work for, to be charged both criminally and civilly for a breach of patient confidentiality. Yikes.

I was very glad that I am not currently working with any patient information. I was also very glad that my husband spent some of this weekend attempting to upgrade the safety of our computers! I am very lucky that he is so smart about computer stuff.

I also wanted to share this youtube video that was shown in our orientation. The faculty person who played it said that it was a couple of years old (and in today's tech crazy world that is a huge amount of time!) but it was interesting to me.

A Vision of Students Today

Orientation continues tomorrow.

1 comment: