Standard Disclaimer

As there is a possibility that this blog may become more public, I feel the need to add a disclaimer...
My experience is subjective, unique and influenced by the life experiences I had before I became a PhD student and my life experiences during this program. Your experiences will inevitably be different. They may even be wildly different!
Remember: my truth is neither your truth nor The Truth.
I want this blog to be honest. For that to be a reality, it must therefore be anonymous.
Politics and religion are fodder for other bloggers; I am a one-trick pony. The PhD nursing experience is all I'm here to write about.
Thanks and enjoy!

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Countdown

On Monday I start orientation and one week from today I start the actual courses! I can't believe how quickly this time has passed. I have readings due for the first day of lecture. Most importantly, I get to meet the rest of my class! (Or "cohort" as we are called by the school....)

I worked today on starting the reading and evaluation of the research for the project I mentioned yesterday. I enjoy the topic and time is flying. The primary author of the article had a large amount of background research at hand and has passed that on to me as a starting place. I focused on the British research related to our topic today. It was startling to me that the US and the UK are discussing similar themes related to this topic. Most of what I read was very applicable.

To help organize my thoughts and keep track of the studies, I'm working on an annotated bibliography and a chart describing the articles. As a rule I'm not taking notes as I read, but instead trying to read each article through and recognize any important themes, especially as they may be applicable to our article. Then I'm re-reading areas that I think are most relevant. I hope my thoroughness early on saves me time later.

I am looking forward to the weekend. My sister suggested a movie that sounds like fun, and the idea of dinner and a movie with my husband are very appealing to me right now!

Lastly, I want anyone who is reading this blog to feel comfortable posting a question, a comment, or de-lurking for a nano-second to send a little wave. It would make me feel great. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. hi.... i appreciate that you have created this blog. I am beginning to read it and will follow your progress.

    I hope to apply for a phd nursing cohort beginning august 2012 so your experience is very useful to me.

    thanks. m rn msn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice comment, m! I hope that your application process goes well and that this blog continues to be helpful to you!

    ReplyDelete