Standard Disclaimer

As there is a possibility that this blog may become more public, I feel the need to add a disclaimer...
My experience is subjective, unique and influenced by the life experiences I had before I became a PhD student and my life experiences during this program. Your experiences will inevitably be different. They may even be wildly different!
Remember: my truth is neither your truth nor The Truth.
I want this blog to be honest. For that to be a reality, it must therefore be anonymous.
Politics and religion are fodder for other bloggers; I am a one-trick pony. The PhD nursing experience is all I'm here to write about.
Thanks and enjoy!

Friday, September 10, 2010

Officially Official

So I'm now official! I went today and obtained my student ID. Like all official identifications, the process involved trying to find an office in the basement of a large building and a significantly less than flattering photo of myself. But, I now have documentation that  I am a "Doctoral Student." It was worth it.

I also received my first course syllabus. The course appears to explore the philosophical foundations of science and nursing science. I glanced through one of the required texts in the university bookstore and I ended up reading an entire section on postmodernism theory in research.  The readings interest me and I like theory. The only concerning aspect was that the entire class grade is based on only three things: class participation and two papers. Yikes! The syllabus indicated that the first paper should be 4 pages long and is worth 40% of the grade. No pressure though...each page is only 10% of my entire grade for the class!

The toll of being pretty much by myself and separated from my husband is starting to wear a little. I have made contact with two people I know in the city and I hope to see them next week. In the past, I've found being in classes a good way to find and keep friends. But I also know that forming new, close friendships is harder as we get older. I'm glad that I'm in the nursing program because we'll all at least have one initial commonality.

No comments:

Post a Comment