Standard Disclaimer

As there is a possibility that this blog may become more public, I feel the need to add a disclaimer...
My experience is subjective, unique and influenced by the life experiences I had before I became a PhD student and my life experiences during this program. Your experiences will inevitably be different. They may even be wildly different!
Remember: my truth is neither your truth nor The Truth.
I want this blog to be honest. For that to be a reality, it must therefore be anonymous.
Politics and religion are fodder for other bloggers; I am a one-trick pony. The PhD nursing experience is all I'm here to write about.
Thanks and enjoy!

Friday, May 6, 2011

Weeks Five and Six

I haven't blogged in a while because the last two weeks have been pretty awful. I lost my steadfast companion, KitKit, on April 25th. Even though he was my silent partner, his presence was always comforting. It is hard to panic about things when the cat can barely be bothered to wake up. Nothing was an emergency to him, and whether I succeeded or failed was meaningless to him. I was used to him sitting on my printer or on my desk while I worked. He didn't care if what I was writing was going to set nursing science on its ear, he just wanted to sleep near me and in the sun from the window.  It is harder to work without him.

The last picture I took of KitKit. He really loved to sleep in clean laundry...
The last two weeks have also included two midterms, a seven page paper, and a conference. Thankfully, I just finished week 6. Only five weeks to go. I am usually about two weeks ahead in readings and assignments, but this quarter I am two weeks behind. I actually wrote a paper (the whole thing) the day it was due. That has never happened before, and barring any other life catastrophes, it will never happen again. It was an unpleasant experience to actually be racing the clock while I wrote. I am not looking forward to the feedback from the prof on that paper. I can't imagine it will be good.

Hopefully, the next five weeks will pass quickly and without incident. I want to get out of this quarter and start prepping for next year. The second year is a big deal and I need to be focused. I also need to start planning my research residencies. If everything works out, I'll get to do one at the end of this summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment