Standard Disclaimer

As there is a possibility that this blog may become more public, I feel the need to add a disclaimer...
My experience is subjective, unique and influenced by the life experiences I had before I became a PhD student and my life experiences during this program. Your experiences will inevitably be different. They may even be wildly different!
Remember: my truth is neither your truth nor The Truth.
I want this blog to be honest. For that to be a reality, it must therefore be anonymous.
Politics and religion are fodder for other bloggers; I am a one-trick pony. The PhD nursing experience is all I'm here to write about.
Thanks and enjoy!

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Loss as a Concept

be·reft/biˈreft/Adjective

1. Deprived of or lacking something 
2. (of a person) Lonely and abandoned, esp. through someone's death or departure.

There is no time off in this program to grieve. It isn't that people aren't sympathetic, there just isn't any room to add time for a student to gather themselves. Last post, I mentioned that I should be back on track as long as no other life-altering events occurred. Well, remind me next time to keep my mouth shut. Last week I lost one of my firmest supporters and one of the people whose influence helped me get to this program: my grandfather. He was a scientist. He loved and actively sought knowledge - even knowledge without direct purpose.

The only word that I could find to describe how I feel is bereft. I am not "enraged," I am not "despairing," but I also can't seem to grieve. Instead, I feel "deprived and lacking something."

Some other cohort members have expressed the sense that one specific goal of this program is the active attempt to "tear us down" so that they can build something better out of us. I haven't felt this way about the program. Instead, I have described it as a type of socialization. They (the powers that be) were having us experience what it really is to think for a living - to be an academic.

Right now, though, I feel that my life is tearing me down. And school is preventing me from addressing that. I'm balancing on a tightrope, someone just knocked one of my feet out from under me, and there is NO NET.

I quit my job, I live thousands of miles from my family, and one of the people who believed I could do this isn't here now. I am bereft of my confidence. I am bereft of my certainty. I am even bereft of my ability to have a really good freak out. I have never run home for help because I've never needed that. But what if I never needed help because I always knew that if I did need it, it was there? Does that make any sense?! And, I don't even have time to think this through, because I have to think about other things - it is week 8!

This week, also, as my life has been assaulted, I have come to some conclusions about the program. I was wrong. It isn't socialization, it is a type of destruction. I have spent a year investigating concepts and theories. I came in with a pretty good idea of my question - and now that I know more, that's gone. I have no research question. I have less of a belief in my own knowledge on my topic. I feel naked and uncertain.

What comes from bereavement? Nearing the end of the first year, having lost the support of a loved one, my certainty of purpose, and my belief in my research ideas, what is there to be learned from all of it? I want someone to tell me that I will gain knowledge from this. My grandfather believed in science as a way to attain knowledge. I believe that too. Implicit in that belief is that knowledge will lead to understanding. But today, I am not sure that the rigorous application of methodical investigation techniques will help me understand.

And I am bereft.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Darling for this. Your grandfather would love what you wrote about him. It says so well the anchor he was to his family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mom. I had been having a hard time putting my sense of loss into words. I'm still not sure that this is a perfect representation, but I feel a little better for the trying.

    I'm so glad that you think he would have liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi;
    Am sorry to hear about your loss! He might not physically be with you to encourage you and see you through but I believe he still watches over you and is proud of the journey that you are on and will finish. My heart goes out to you at your time of grief :(
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Scola. It really has helped me to know that other people understand and sympathize with my loss.

    ReplyDelete