Standard Disclaimer

As there is a possibility that this blog may become more public, I feel the need to add a disclaimer...
My experience is subjective, unique and influenced by the life experiences I had before I became a PhD student and my life experiences during this program. Your experiences will inevitably be different. They may even be wildly different!
Remember: my truth is neither your truth nor The Truth.
I want this blog to be honest. For that to be a reality, it must therefore be anonymous.
Politics and religion are fodder for other bloggers; I am a one-trick pony. The PhD nursing experience is all I'm here to write about.
Thanks and enjoy!

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Holiday Reading!

One of the things that is motivating me to write my final papers is that after I finish, I get to have a break! And what a break really means is reading for fun again. I have actually enjoyed most of the readings for my classes, and I have read non-assigned stuff during school as well (because I'd go nutso if I didn't) but a whole month to read whatever I want sounds wonderful right now.

But I found something very strange when I started making my winter holiday reading list - half of the books on the list came directly from school lectures or discussions! So here's the list; it isn't complete and may change....

1. The Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Freire
2. Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass
3. Cloudsplitter by Russel Banks
4.The Structure of Scientific Revolutions by Kuhn
5. I and Thou by Martin Buber
6. The Birth of the Clinic: An Archaeology of Medical Perception by Foucault
7. Being and Nothingness by Sarte
8.  The Ethics of Ambiguity by Simone de Beauvoir
9. The Theory of Justice by John Rawls
10. Notes on Nursing by Flo
11. Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell


I was keeping notes on books that came up in class on post-its and shoving the post-its in one pocket of my backpack. Now that I've put them all together, I see two things. First, that the list is longer than I thought, and I'm not going to get through them by the end of winter break. And secondly, this list is heavily influenced by one of my philosophy professors, who also happened to be my favorite prof. of the quarter.

Immediately after my last class, I'm going straight to the library and starting with whichever book is available. Yay! School breaks are the best!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the list. I'll check out some of these on my Sony reader , that I got specifically for the purpose of preparing for my PhD. studies.

    mary ann rn.msn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a Kindle for a lot of my reading. Many of the required articles are in pdf form and the Kindle allows me to upload them and carry them easily.
    Truthfully, I also do a lot of my leisure reading on my Kindle too, so I hope that you enjoy yours for both of those reasons!

    ReplyDelete