Standard Disclaimer

As there is a possibility that this blog may become more public, I feel the need to add a disclaimer...
My experience is subjective, unique and influenced by the life experiences I had before I became a PhD student and my life experiences during this program. Your experiences will inevitably be different. They may even be wildly different!
Remember: my truth is neither your truth nor The Truth.
I want this blog to be honest. For that to be a reality, it must therefore be anonymous.
Politics and religion are fodder for other bloggers; I am a one-trick pony. The PhD nursing experience is all I'm here to write about.
Thanks and enjoy!

Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Extremes of Binary Experience

The experience of my research residency seems to exist as either utter confusion or joy. I haven't yet found a middle ground. Let me present some examples:

Utter Confusion

Scenario One
Residency Advisor/Mentor (RA/M): "I have a great project idea for you!"
Me: "Oh, that sounds exciting!"
RA/M: "I think that you should enter this data into SPSS and analyze the differences between the groups."
Me (in my head): My classes have only covered SPSS peripherally, I have only a limited idea of how to use the program. I can theoretically discuss descriptive statistics and regression techniques, but I haven't ever applied them beyond the carefully selected examples in last year's classes. Help! 
Me: "That sounds really interesting, but I might need some help with the program, we've only used it a little in class."
RA/M: "I only use STATA. There is a book on how to use SPSS here." RA/M points to SPSS for Dummies.
Me: "..."

Scenario Two
(Searching for creamer to add to my desperately needed coffee in the breakroom.)
Me: "Come on, there has to be half and half in here somewhere!"
Other Office Person Who Happens to Wander In During My Desperate Search (OOPWHWDMDS): "There's creamer don't worry!" OOPWHWDMDS then hands me a container of liquid soy product.
Me: "Uh, I'm from Chicago....so I don't usually use soy... stuff... in my coffee."
OOPWHWDMDS: "Don't worry! You'll love it! And if you don't like this one, we have three other flavors that you might like better!"
Me: "..."

Scenario Three 
RA/M: "I need you to do X."
Me: "That's a big topic. I think that I can do the background over the next week."
RA/M: "I need it tomorrow."
Me: "..."

Moments of Joy:

One: Sitting in meetings where I think, I can't believe that we are doing such amazing research and the whole world isn't throwing a party. I am so lucky to be involved with something so important!

Two: Finding half and half in the fridge.

Three: Working on something I find so interesting that I work an entire 8 hour workday and it feels like thirty minutes.

Four: When I finish something, and somebody says, "Hey, good job!"

So far, I think that this is a pretty normal research residency experience. It is much more joy than utter confusion. I'm learning (some of it by trial and error) and I'm meeting some of the best researchers in my topic area.
It is thrilling and overwhelming...sometimes all at once.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I may be biased, but Good Job! (on that blog entry - very entertaining)! :-)

    ReplyDelete