Standard Disclaimer

As there is a possibility that this blog may become more public, I feel the need to add a disclaimer...
My experience is subjective, unique and influenced by the life experiences I had before I became a PhD student and my life experiences during this program. Your experiences will inevitably be different. They may even be wildly different!
Remember: my truth is neither your truth nor The Truth.
I want this blog to be honest. For that to be a reality, it must therefore be anonymous.
Politics and religion are fodder for other bloggers; I am a one-trick pony. The PhD nursing experience is all I'm here to write about.
Thanks and enjoy!

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Blathering

Currently Reading: Zeitoun  by Dave Eggers (the one book, one city selection)

Two big events are about to occur today: I'm turning in 1 of my final papers!!!!! And, I'm meeting my adviser to discuss my classes next quarter. (This one doesn't get an exclamation point....)

One of the first things that the more advanced students will tell a new student is that the relationship one has with one's adviser is a very personal one. They will also tell a new student that the relationship will be unique. What they don't tell  a new student is that it won't always be....fulfilling....

Some of my classmates came to this program to specifically work with the person who is their adviser. I came because this university has lots of people, from many disciplines working on my area of interest. And I came because I was particularly interested in working with a particular researcher at a university affiliated research center. I am working with her, but she is not currently on faculty at the nursing school. She makes me cookies when I visit her home to discuss our project. She knows my previous mentor, who I will love forever. She is wonderful.

So. Since she can't advise me about school stuff, I have an adviser in the school of nursing and she has me.

One of my other classmates told me how her adviser always hugs her. (I'm not a hugger, so it's okay that mine doesn't). Another one of my friends told me how supportive her adviser is. (This will be the second time that I've met mine.) Which leads me to today's goal. Build a relationship with my adviser! This is the person who, if I finish the program, will hood me at the ceremony. This is a person who will sit on both my candidacy exam committee and my dissertation committee. This is a person who I need to have a good relationship with, and today I am starting on that road!

I hope that she's ready for my enthusiasm.

No comments:

Post a Comment