Standard Disclaimer

As there is a possibility that this blog may become more public, I feel the need to add a disclaimer...
My experience is subjective, unique and influenced by the life experiences I had before I became a PhD student and my life experiences during this program. Your experiences will inevitably be different. They may even be wildly different!
Remember: my truth is neither your truth nor The Truth.
I want this blog to be honest. For that to be a reality, it must therefore be anonymous.
Politics and religion are fodder for other bloggers; I am a one-trick pony. The PhD nursing experience is all I'm here to write about.
Thanks and enjoy!

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Beat Down

So. I am exhausted. I could read everyday, all day, and still be behind. I am in the middle of what might be called mid-terms, or what might also be called an outer circle of paper-writing hell. In the last few weeks, I have actually noticed my vision getting worse. I think that it is from all of the reading. This is the less fun part of the program.

I am still staying afloat, even in this sea of never-ending papers, but I'm concerned about not doing well. (I almost made a very bad joke about regression towards the mean, or as we just learned it is also called, regression towards mediocrity. Aren't you glad I stopped myself?) I'm worried that in this paper-flurry from you-know-where, that I am not writing my best or truly learning as much as I could in the process.


To counter this potential negative effect, I have a new plan. First, I am going to continue to do what I have been doing well. It works for me to start papers early and spend the days before they are due tweaking them. I like to have that window and time to make them better. Secondly, I will not eat junk food. I am up late tonight because I have a stomachache from cookies. Not sleeping due to intestinal pain does not help my productivity. Thirdly, I am going to get control of my time again. That means that I will, no matter what, fit in exercise and breaks. I am willing to sacrifice my vision to this program, but not my sanity. Also, when things are stressful, not exercising, crappy sleep hygiene, and eating poorly only make it much, much worse for me.

I know that this is a transition. I've been out of school, practicing nursing, and this is the first batch of papers and assignments that are due. This if the painful part of acculturating to this new way of thinking and performing.

It will be fine. I can do this.

1 comment:

  1. I know I'm writing to someone 3 years past, but I'll share anyway. Just finished my masters and struggled with visual endurance due to mountains of readings. Adequate fluid intake, omega fatty acids, lubricating eye drops and reading glasses helped substantially. Amazing what a combo of eye strain and age can do to vision!

    ReplyDelete