Standard Disclaimer

As there is a possibility that this blog may become more public, I feel the need to add a disclaimer...
My experience is subjective, unique and influenced by the life experiences I had before I became a PhD student and my life experiences during this program. Your experiences will inevitably be different. They may even be wildly different!
Remember: my truth is neither your truth nor The Truth.
I want this blog to be honest. For that to be a reality, it must therefore be anonymous.
Politics and religion are fodder for other bloggers; I am a one-trick pony. The PhD nursing experience is all I'm here to write about.
Thanks and enjoy!

Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Doldrums

I love the term "the Doldrums." It is the name ancient mariners used to describe an area of the ocean where the wind disappears and you just loll around going nowhere and getting seasick. It is so descriptive of where I am in this program!

I am still taking classes, but the feel of the program is subtly shifting. Our focus is being directed by our mentors towards less guided endeavors. Even the classes are less guided. The assignments are much less directed and there are fewer of them. We're expected to be writing for publication and looking for funding.

The perpetual pursuit of funding has started for me. From what I can tell, this is the start of the rest of my life. Obtaining funding is an essential part of the academic role. As I write a large grant and apply for scholarships from EVERYWHERE, I am solidifying my personal statement, career goals and learning how to describe the importance of my work in 250 words or less. It's harder than it sounds!

Because I've spent a lot of time this quarter working on funding applications, I'd like to write a bit about a very important question for nurses considering going back to school: "How will I pay for it?"
It's a good question.

First, you will learn to live on less. Even the few people in my cohort who have kept working have had to or wished that they could cut back on work, which means cutting back on their money. There may be people who work full-time through their PhD program, but I would argue that they do not have the experience that I'm having - their ability to publish, attend and present at important conferences, or participate in their mentor's research may be reduced. That's a problem because those are things that build your credibility as a nurse researcher.

Next, I'd like to reassure everyone that there is funding out there. The NIH has predoctoral grants, most programs have funding, there are private funding options, and of course loans. Ask your school to help guide you. They should have resources. If not, get on online and apply for the funding that is available to you. Look for loans, I'm not sure any of us will get out of this program without taking at least one or two loans. And finally, spend less. I immediately put my loans from my master's degree on deferment. I don't have a car, we live in a rental with a whole bedroom less than before, and I don't but things that aren't essential. Instead, I have Pinterest boards where I keep all the things that I want in sight, so someday, later, if I still want them, I can find them. It isn't easy, but we're doing okay. If there are people in PhD programs who read this blog and have other suggestions on how to find money and survive financially during the doctorate, I would love to hear them - they might help me too!

Have a great Thursday everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I am a brand new reader and I just couldn't help but to tell you how fabulous your entire blog is! Yes, I just read your ENTIRE blog from start to finish, (in about 2.8 hours). :)

    I graduated from a bachelor's program in nursing last year, and now work in L&D. I have been seriously considering docotoral studies in nursing (after a few good years in practice). Your blog has certainly added to my perspective by giving me a clearer picture of both the joys and frustrations of PhD studies.

    I look forward to more updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the comment above! Great blog. Looking forward to more updated! :) Hope the end of the semester is not too stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello to both RNegade and Anonymous!

    Thanks for your comments. :) I really appreciate that you are reading this blog and I am so glad that it is helpful to you.

    Both of your comments helped motivate me to write a new entry! And to RNegade, labor and delivery was my first home; I miss laboring with patients so much on some days. Obstetrics and sexual and reproductive health need good PhD prepared nurses! Please, think about joining me in pursuing doctoral studies!

    To anonymous, thank you for your kind wishes on the end of the semester. I really appreciate them!

    ReplyDelete