Standard Disclaimer

As there is a possibility that this blog may become more public, I feel the need to add a disclaimer...
My experience is subjective, unique and influenced by the life experiences I had before I became a PhD student and my life experiences during this program. Your experiences will inevitably be different. They may even be wildly different!
Remember: my truth is neither your truth nor The Truth.
I want this blog to be honest. For that to be a reality, it must therefore be anonymous.
Politics and religion are fodder for other bloggers; I am a one-trick pony. The PhD nursing experience is all I'm here to write about.
Thanks and enjoy!

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Week 7 - Almost Done or Almost Out of Time

Yesterday, I was reminded of two of my parents' sayings.
My dad used to say, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
My mom would say, "Try to see what this experience is teaching you."
I hate both of those sayings. It is even more annoying that they are both true and useful.

In my fourth and often, most difficult, class I have had to struggle with trying to determine what I was learning. And even more importantly, how the class was benefiting me and my developing research skills. But, yesterday that all became a lot more clear. So, while I would still recommend that PhD students attempt to take classes that are useful to their education and future research, I would also remind us (me included) that usefulness can be defined in many, many ways. AND, I would refer us all back to my mother's saying above. There is almost always something that can be learned!

So, week seven. I think that these last few weeks are always the hardest. Papers and projects are looming, but classes are still continuing at full pace. This year, two of my classes require the final papers in the 10th week of the quarter instead of the 11th, which is the typical "finals week." In addition, we have projects coming up at my research residency. I'm feeling a little pinched for time.

However, this year I don't feel overwhelmed. My favorite holidays are approaching, I'm in a much better place in this program - I have a research question and a plan, and I've been feeling pretty accomplished lately. For everybody in the first year, I would like to tell you that the second year isn't easier, but it is better!


Boris likes to help me write papers...

No comments:

Post a Comment